Zoup! started with two simple discoveries our founders made while building their first company, which made soup and spice mixes for restaurants. That original business gave the partners kitchen-door access to top chefs and managers at hundreds of restaurants. And, it gave them the chance to confirm what they suspected all along. First, that really good soup is hard to find. And, second, that soup has powerful intangible qualities that elicit feelings of comfort, warmth and well-being for many people.
- 1997Inspired by their discoveries and passion for soup, the founders sold their original business, teamed up with a top chef and spent almost two years creating and evaluating recipes. After a painstaking trial-and-error process and hundreds of group tastings, they were ready to introduce their proprietary soups.
- 1998The founders opened their first restaurant in Southfield, Michigan (a Detroit suburb) and confirmed what they suspected all along -- that there was a strong demand for the kind of fresh and authentic soup that people love, but seldom have time to prepare.
- 1999-2002The company continued to fine-tune their soup recipes and added GreenZ! and SandwichZ! to the menu. We also opened five more Detroit-area locations.
- 2003-2007We opened our first franchise location in Ann Arbor, Michigan. We also began building a team and cultural foundation for a growing franchise system.
- 2007-2015Richard Simtob, respected franchise executive and entrepreneur, joined Zoup! to assist in fostering the company’s continued franchise growth. Through the hard work of our many committed franchise partners and team members, we continued to open locations, including nine in Ontario, Canada.
- TODAYToday, fans can enjoy Zoup!'s soup, salads and sandwiches at over 88 locations across the northern half of the United States and in Ontario, Canada.