Zoup! started with two simple discoveries our founders made while building their first company, which made soup and spice mixes for restaurants. That original business gave the partners kitchen-door access to top chefs and managers at hundreds of restaurants. And, it gave them the chance to confirm what they suspected all along. First, that really good soup is hard to find. And, that soup has powerful intangible qualities that elicit feelings of comfort, warmth and well-being for many people.
- 1997Inspired by their discoveries and passion for soup, the founders sold their original business, teamed up with a top chef and spent almost two years creating and evaluating recipes. After a painstaking trial-and-error process and hundreds of group tastings, they were ready to introduce their proprietary soups.
- 1998The founders opened the first Zoup! restaurant in Southfield, Michigan (a Detroit suburb) and confirmed what they suspected all along -- that there was a strong demand for the kind of fresh and authentic soup that people love, but seldom have time to prepare.
- 1999-2002The company continued to fine-tune its soup recipes and added made-to-order salads and sandwiches to the menu. It also opened five more Detroit-area locations.
- 2003-2007Zoup!'s first franchise location opened in Ann Arbor, Michigan and the company began building a support team and cultural foundation for a growing franchise system. In 2007, Richard Simtob, respected franchise executive and entrepreneur, joined Zoup! to guide its continued franchise growth.
- 2008-2018Through the hard work of its many committed franchise partners and team members, we continued to open restaurants in the United States and Ontario, Canada.
- TODAYFans can enjoy our soup, salad and sandwiches at Zoup! restaurants throughout the United States and Canada, and we continue to grow, bringing Zoup! to new markets.